Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Allen S. Rout
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 15:19:09 -0500

On 11/18/2013 01:44 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

> But there are so many people who don't use Emacs or TeX.  They use
> WYSIWYG word processors only.  I wish we could make Emacs easy for
> them to use, so they could get the benefit of Emacs's other advantages
> while doing their word processing.

I think Emacs could not be 'like' Microsoft Word in this way, without
introducing a crushing maintenance load.  WYSIAIG-alike behavior would
involve imitating whatever UI elements are popular this decade;  ribbon?
 flat design?  Whatever.    These are just as important to making it
"easy for them to use" as any nuance of rendering;  but if the rendering
is not exactly correct too, people are alienated.

- Allen S. Rout
- Peanut gallery.