Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 14:55:49 +0100

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> wrote:
Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> writes:

>> Could people please start working on the features that are needed?
>
> I don't think that would be a productive use limited resources. Emacs'
> feature set is either already at a place suitable for "word processing"
> or astronomically distant depending on how you think about the problem:
> Emacs already works _very_ well for document preparation using auctex,
> nxml-mode, and so on. LibreOffice already covers the more conventional
> WYSIWYG space and is free software.

I agree with this. I don't know anyone who makes documents that I
respect who thinks that WYSIWYG features are a good thing.

That must be a misunderstanding. Of course WYSIWYS is a good feature for many people. It is just that document structure must be uncoupled from layout.

And LibreOffice etc has focused on this.