Re: Fontifying outside of region passed to registered JIT lock function

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Fontifying outside of region passed to registered JIT lock function
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 17:12:50 -0500

> I considered that, and I'm not against either highlighting parens or
> the indentation. I chose to hack the former case because I couldn't
> think of a pleasing way to highlight the indentation. For example:
> what to highlight when c is against the left margin?

Actually, just after sending the other message I thought of this exact
problem and figured that maybe a way to do that is not to highlight the
indentation, but to insert a "display only" close-paren (with suitable
coloring).

> Is there a way to put something visual in between characters? Like
> a colored dot or little line?

You can insert display-only text via the after-string or
before-string property of overlays.

        Stefan