Re: Bootstrap failure on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bootstrap failure on MS-Windows
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 17:18:24 +0200

> Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 15:33:55 +0100
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Jarek Czekalski <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> >> Maybe "uname" could be an option to detect mingw? On my system it
> >> returns "windows32" for non-login, and "MINGW32_NT-6.1" for --login
> >> shell. Cygwin returns CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64, so it won't be mistaken as
> >> mingw.
> >
> > Thanks, but I believe the need for this will be eliminated, once the
> > change that makes configure read mingw-cfg.site directly is committed.
>
> If you refer to the patch I sent [1], the reading of
> 'nt/mingw-cfg.site' from the configure script is conditioned to the
> MSYS environment.  So, with that approach, we still need a way of
> checking whether the shell is running on a MSYS environment.

'uname' is invoked by config.guess, so if the value it returns is
needed, it is already available to the configure script in the form of
'opsys' variable, albeit somewhat later than where you wanted to read
the site-config file.

Relying on a raw 'uname' is IMO wrong, because it would preclude
setting --host etc. from the configure command-line args.