Re: Bootstrap failure on MS-Windows

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Bootstrap failure on MS-Windows
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 20:35:08 -0500

Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> I don't run the configure script before bootstrapping on a directory
> used on a previous build. I just do `make bootstrap -j4'.
>
> What I *think* that happens is:
>
>  * the bootstrap target depends, directly or indirectly, on the
>    configure (and, possibly, autogen) scripts.
>
>  * when those are dirty, the script is executed before cleaning the
>    build directory.
>
>  * as the previous step deletes the files generated by `./configure',
>    the script is executed again.

FWIW I got fed up by the overzealousness of this some time ago.
Personally I use something like
make maintainer-clean
configure
make

rather than make bootstrap.

I imagine `make bootstrap' is being technically correct.

(AFAIK none of this is new or has any relevance to the initial topic of
this discussion.)