Re: Rectangular regions

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Rectangular regions
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 20:29:27 -0700

On 10/29/2013 08:22 PM, Leo Liu wrote:
On 2013-10-30 09:59 +0800, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Maybe we could also push the design a bit further and provide shorter
key-bindings in "rectangular region mode" (no, it's not a mode
currently) to access string-rectangle and open-rectangle, but for now,
the main issue is how to quickly start selecting a rectangle.
I.e. a good key binding for rectangle-mark.

Maybe steal M-SPC from just-one-space since it is similar to C-SPC and
works well in gui and tty. We could fold just-one-space into
delete-horizontal-space somehow.

Good idea. I completely agree. I don't think I've ever deliberately used just-one-space; I always go for delete-horizontal-space or delete-indentation to cover just-one-space's job. If we do end up using M-SPC, though, it'll be important to remind users that they can also run the command as ESC SPC (which is convenient enough): many popular window managers steal M-SPC for bringing up a window menu.