Re: trunk r114834: Tweak Tramp method definition syntax to allow overrid

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: trunk r114834: Tweak Tramp method definition syntax to allow overriding check for localhost-only methods
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 09:29:10 +0100

Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> writes:

> It's largely a copy of sshx with some pre-connection twiddling and
> out-of-band host selection. I'd rather not actually reproduce it
> here. If you object strongly to my change, I can back it out of
> course; I'll have to figure out a way to insert a dummy %h.

I do not object strongly, I just want to understand. You could send it
to me off-list (with anonymous user and host names), that I understand
it better. Then we might decide, which is the best way to fit your
needs.

>> Note, that I have converted tramp-methods from defcustom to defvar a
>> while ago. It's meanwhile too complex, to offer it as general purpose
>> config mean.
>
> Then it might be worthwhile to remove the section about non-standard
> methods from the manual entirely.

Right.

> In the meantime, it seems perfectly amenable to customization by
> ambitious end users.

Yep, despite the fact that you have changed also the code in
tramp-compute-multi-hops. This is far from what was intended. And I also
don't understand, what's the effect of tramp-error in your
tramp-hostname-checker.

>From time to time, new attributes appear in tramp-methods, which are
important to be set. People do not change their config, because they are
not aware of the changes. This could (and did) raise problems.

Best regards, Michael.