Re: Input for TTY menus

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Input for TTY menus
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 16:40:08 +0300

> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 18:39:21 +0800
> From: Darren Hoo <address@hidden>
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> > Can you try the patch below, and see if it fixes the menu-bar issue
> > with GPM, and does not cause any adverse effects on the rest of GPM
> > mouse functionality?
>
> The patch works, neat really.

Thanks for testing.  I committed the change.

> I think there's one more improvement  can be made.
>
> for example click on the menu Options,  Click on the letter O or click on
> letter i the position of the dropdown menu is different. please refer to the
> screenshots attached,  I think the calculation of the position of the  the
> drop down menu should always start from the first letter of the menu.

That's how non-toolkit menus always worked: the menu is popped on the
same place where you click the mouse.  Personally, I rather like this,
but that's because I'm used to it.

If someone wants to work on changing that for clicks on the menu bar
(note that this should still work as it does for clicks on the text
area or elsewhere on the frame), I won't object, but I won't work on
this myself, sorry.

> I wonder how it works on windows

The same.  It also works the same on X when no toolkits are used, and
even on MS-DOS.

  https://sourceforge.net/projects/emacs-bin/files/snapshots/

> and whether the behaviour cross platform is consistent.

It is, as long as Emacs itself is creating the menus.  Toolkits don't
behave like that.

What about my questions about the "Services" menu?  I don't think you
answered those.