Re: run/load a lisp script before user init file

From: Josh
Subject: Re: run/load a lisp script before user init file
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 09:11:30 -0700

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Barry OReilly <address@hidden> wrote:
>> emacs -q -l $path/emacspeak-setup.el -l $userInitFile
>>
>> It's not perfect, because -q switch causes customizing variables
>> impossible.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. I tried 'emacs -q -l ~/.emacs.d/init.el'
> and it seemed to set my customized variables correctly. I also tried
> defining a defcustom in /tmp/foo.el, adding it to the
> custom-set-variables form of init.el, and 'emacs -q -l /tmp/foo.el -l
> ~/.emacs.d/init.el'. The variable was set correctly.

As they stand both of these leave user-init-file set to nil, so users'
later attempts to save changes for future sessions with the
customization UI would fail due to the check by the `custom-file'
function in cus-edit.el.  This could be avoided by assigning
".../init.el" to user-init-file, performing that assignment either in
.../init.el itself (which seems a bit silly) or in foo.el, in which case
it would be simpler to omit the -q and have foo.el go ahead and
load init.el.  This is the scheme I described in my previous
message except that instead of foo.el I specified ~/.emacs.el,
because this approach does not require invoking Emacs with
any particular flags (i.e. neither -q nor -l) and preserves users'
ability to safely store arbitrary configuration in ~/.emacs and/or
~/.emacs.d/init.el.