Re: Emacs crypto use cases

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs crypto use cases
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 22:17:46 +0900

Ted Zlatanov writes:

 > SM> Just write a .c file and matching .h that will be included in Emacs and
 > SM> that describe some functions exported from Emacs to the dynload modules.
 > SM> Then adjust your libnettle code to use those exported functions instead
 > SM> of the lisp.h macros.  Then write a bit of package.el code that runs
 > SM> a C compiler for packages that include such C files.  And finally add
 > SM> a `dynload' function that uses something along the lines of `dl_open'.
 >
 > I have no idea how that would work.  Is there an example?  And is this
 > anywhere close to usable?  The FFI discussion thread hasn't indicated
 > it.  If I'm to be the guinea pig, I'm not excited about it.

It's worked well in XEmacs since 2000.  If you want to use our code
you'll need to get papers from J. Kean Johnston and Jerry James, and
maybe Ben Wing.  I don't know how hard that will be, finding Kean
might be hard.

Jerry's been pretty busy recently, but he might be willing to give
advice if you go the roll-your-own route.

Steve