Re: [emacs-leuven-theme] diff-index foreground (#2bis)

From: Fabrice Niessen
Subject: Re: [emacs-leuven-theme] diff-index foreground (#2bis)
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 07:06:53 +0200

Hello Dmitry,

Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 01.10.2013 22:56, Fabrice Niessen wrote:
>>> - time-stamp-* local variables at the bottom of the file.
>>
>> ... *thanks to* the local variables:
>>
>>    ╭────
>>    │ ;; Local Variables:
>>    │ ;; time-stamp-format: "%:y%02m%02d.%02H%02M"
>>    │ ;; time-stamp-start: "Version: "
>>    │ ;; time-stamp-end: "$"
>>    │ ;; End:
>>    ╰────
>>
>> This instructs the time-stamp package to update the "Version:" time stamp
>> every
>> time you save the buffer ("last change"), if you have the following in your
>> `.emacs' config file:
>>
>>    (add-hook 'before-save-hook 'time-stamp)
>
> I see, thanks for the explanation.
>
>>> Melpa does not use the version header (just sets the version to the time of
>>> the
>>> last commit), and the time-stamp vars just seem useless to me.
>>>
>>> Shall I remove both of these additions before checking in the new version?
>>
>> This version number seems useful to me, to always know when different
>> versions
>> have been saved, even outside of any VC system.
>
> IMHO, the "last save time" alone is pretty useless, so one shouldn't modify
> important files outside of VS systems.

I totally agree, but nothing forbids someone to take a "snapshot" version of
the leuven-theme.el file from GitHub, without cloning the repository. In case
they report a problem, they always can include the version number for
information, as it's there. And being almost like an ISO 8601 date, it's very
easy to identify versions from the repository.

>> May I ask to leave them, if possible?
>
> Sure, I guess, since it serves some purpose. I don't think we have any
> guidelines about that.

OK, thanks.

Best regards,
Fabrice