Re: managing windows in two frames

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: managing windows in two frames
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 19:14:26 +0200

> The user's choice has nothing to do with it: let's say Jorge (someone
> writing an Elisp package) wants to get the *Help* buffer that shows the
> doc of a function, but he doesn't want to display it (e.g. because he
> wants to process that buffer's content in some other way).
>
> The only function he does have is one that displays the buffer
> (additionally to filling the buffer with the data I want).
> So he wants to trick that function into not displaying the buffer.
>
> Typically, people use save-window-excursion for that,

That's irrational.  What's wrong with

(let ((display-buffer-function 'ignore))
  (describe-function 'ignore))

> but it fails if
> the buffer ends up displayed in some other frame (or worse, in a new
> frame), which can happen depending on the user's settings.  So Jorge
> really wants he code to work regardless of any user's customization of
> display-buffer, in the same sense that find-file-noselect does not pay
> attention to the user's display-buffer settings.

If he "sits close enough" to `display-buffer', Jorge can always (1) use
`display-buffer-function', (2) `display-buffer-overriding-action', or
(3) bind `display-buffer-alist' to do whatever he wants.

martin