Re: Trying to cope with Calendar's dynamic scoping

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Trying to cope with Calendar's dynamic scoping
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 13:55:15 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> Was there any particular aspect you thought might not work?
>
> Well, there's the fundamental difference between lexical and dynamic
> scoping:

Oh, so nothing major then...

> While you can have
>
>    &%%(blabla date blabla)
>
> you can't have
>
>    &%%(my-cal-fun)
>
> where my-cal-fun is defined in your .emacs as
>
>    (defun my-cal-fun () (blabla date blabla))

Or defined in any third-party library. Eg it seems this would break org,
which has "helpfully" hidden the warnings from "(defvar date)".

I don't know how common such usage is.

If you think we need to move to lexical scoping for everything, then the
incompatible change has to be made at some point, it seems.
Maybe Emacs 25.1 is more appropriate for something like that?