Re: C-h r and Images

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: C-h r and Images
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 08:47:25 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  Xue Fuqiao <address@hidden>,
> address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 23:37:43 +0300
>
> > Now, if it is not possible today to have inline xrefs in Info then
> > that's too bad.  Then it's a tradeoff: Is the convenience of direct
> > access worth the extra verbage ("See" or whatever) added?
>
> Today it's possible to have inline xrefs like they are
> implemented for footnotes.  But the problem is how to
> detect inline xrefs in Info files.  I mean when
> inline and non-inline xrefs are defined in the source as:
>
> The bindings of all key sequences are recorded in the keymaps
> (@pxref{Glossary---Keymap}). @xref{Keymaps}.
>
> How to distinguish them in the Info output of makeinfo
> and render them differently in the Info reader?

For some reason you are talking only about the Info format.  Please
don't forget about other formats that can be generated from Texinfo,
notably HTML and the printable formats (DVI, PDF, etc.).  They all
need to work with whatever new machinery you want to use.  Texinfo
cross-references (@pxref, @ref, etc.) do work in all these formats,
but in the printed manual they will produce text that is quite.  And
if you will use just @ref, the printed result will look incorrect
English.