the state of the concurrency branch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: the state of the concurrency branch
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 13:26:42 -0600

I thought I'd send a note about the concurrency branch.

Referring back to my to-do list from this time last year:

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-08/msg00324.html

I've implemented what I consider the must-have items from that list:

* Documentation
* Condition variables
* Process changes
* Thread switch on select

I've also been periodically merging from trunk and running the test
suite.  This hasn't been too bad; though the changes to specpdl this
year caused a few hiccups.

I've looked a little bit into making it so "emacsclient -t" runs the new
terminal in its own thread.  This is a bit trickier than I thought it
would be; I think it means changing top-level so that it can be entered
by multiple threads, plus making it so that the terminal's fd is
thread-locked.  So, I haven't done this yet.

I haven't written ChangeLog entries yet.

What would it take to merge the branch to trunk?

Tom