TRAMP: Host name must not match method ...

From: Matt McClure
Subject: TRAMP: Host name must not match method ...
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 09:06:55 -0400

Hi,

In recent nightly builds of Emacs, I'm struggling to use TRAMP file
paths as I've usually done. I'm getting an error message "Host name
must not match method `ssh'".

Here's a minimal test case:

    $ open -a Emacs --args -Q --no-site-file

Then:

    C-x C-f /ssh:address@hidden:/ RET

Here's what *Messages* says:

    For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
    Tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using ssh...
    Tramp: Sending command `exec ssh -l vagrant  -o
ControlPath=/var/folders/_d/5p0jtv397qs73qr_frd6bw180000gn/T/address@hidden:%p
-o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPersist=no -e none 192.168.33.2'
    Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
    Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `192.168.33.2'
    Tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using ssh...done
    completion--some: Host name must not match method `ssh'

Here's what M-x view-lossage says:

    C-x C-f C-a C-k / s s h : v a g r a n t @ 1 9 2 . 1
6 8 . 3 3 . 2 : / <return> <f1> l

I tried to reproduce more succinctly with:

    $ open -a Emacs --args -Q --no-site-file --eval '(find-file
"/ssh:address@hidden:/")'

To my surprise, it worked as intended rather than failing. So maybe
that's a clue.

I found conversations on tramp-devel[1] and bug-gnu-emacs[2] that look
related, but I haven't found the right combination of keystrokes to
make it work for me.

Is this a defect, or am I doing something wrong?

If the latter, what should I do instead?

[1]: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.tramp/8323/focus=8327
[2]: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/72217/focus=72255

--
Matt McClure