Re: Git version of ELPA

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Git version of ELPA
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:24:27 -0400

> So, you've tried merging commits from upstream that include files not
> present in ELPA? And splitting commits from ELPA to push them to upstream
> repositories? And both work fine?

Haven't tested any of them, since neither of them is supported by the
current Bazaar setup: it can't be worse than what we have in this respect.

>> Of course, if there's a better Git tree available, I'll happily switch
>> to that one.
> A little while back Jorgen wrote a recipe how to do that:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-03/msg00235.html
> I've yet to wrap my head around this git subtree business properly, but if
> it helps, I can try to follow it myself, and publish the result.

That would be nice.  I did not insist on it, because my tests showed
that you can "subtree merge" an external branch after-the-fact: with
Bazaar this resulted in serious problems, whereas with Git this is
handled sanely (not as well as having the external branch merged
right from the start, of course, but good enough).

> It raises a few questions, though. Up until now, the elpa branch has been
> receiving its contents in preprocessed form:
> 1) Some files and directories removed.
> 2) -pkg.el files pre-generated and included.

The `elpa' code will always tend to include local changes.  Less is
better, but they're a fact of life.

> For example, just compare
> http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git/tree/dbb5d60608ae6b99910b0c374f82b63fde526abf:/packages/yasnippet
> and
> https://github.com/capitaomorte/yasnippet/

yasnippet is a problem, indeed.  Someone needs to sync up the two trees
(and take responsibility to keep them in sync in the future).

        Stefan