Re: frame size&position woes

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: frame size&position woes
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 16:51:01 +0200

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Then "crude" must be non-derogatory description.

It's contrastive, against "non-crude" or "refined" ;-)

> Is that something rounding up to the next integral multiple of the
> default font size couldn't take care of?

IIRC, there are ways to change the default values of the non-client
parts of a Windows window (borders, height of the title bar, etc.) If
not directly to the user, then through add-ons (WindowBlinds, etc.).
Any way to compute the dimensions that does not come directly from the
window manager is going to be approximate.

> IOW, err on the safe side.

In fact, the safest default is to assume that the frame is
narrower/shorter than it really is, which will err towards having to
force it onscreen. So (* (frame-height) (frame-char-height)) and (*
(frame-width) (frame-char-width)) are good defaults.

> No.

May I ask why? If you're having trouble with desktop-restore-frames, I
certainly would be interested in knowing about it.

    Juanma