Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 23:10:34 +0400

On 13.07.2013 14:23, Bozhidar Batsov wrote:
Great! Btw, shouldn't we highlight the conversion methods from Kernel
(Float, Integer, etc) as built-ins?

Sure, it's now easier to do correctly. Done. :)

    But there's really nothing that would distinguish a Math::E
    reference from Foo::C. Or from GC, IO, DL, IRB, URI, XML, HTML, etc.

Yep, I'm aware we can't distinguish all cases without the use of a
proper parser, but I guess we should handle accordingly at least the
scenarios which are deterministic.

But we have to highlight these abbreviation-named modules *somehow*. And we're bound to be wrong in 50% of these cases. That's why I don't think it's a good idea.

That difference in highlighting wouldn't convey much information anyway: uppercase text with underscores is easy to notice as it is.