Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 15:57:03 +0300

On 9 July 2013 03:40, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:
On 08.07.2013 13:22, Stefan Monnier wrote:
a. Ruby trunk has some objectionable code, which I believe we shouldn't
merge, and noone seems to be interested in discussing or reverting it:
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6854

"deep-indent", huh?

Yep. Cryptic name and docstring, plus no comments in the code. All par for the course. :)

I don't give it a name in SMIE, but I use the
"hanging-p" name for the test to choose between doing it or not (which
seems to be pretty much the same test you use in the current
ruby-mode.el).

I'm not sure what piece of logic in ruby-mode you mean exactly, but if SMIE does indentation similar to e.g. js-mode (indentation inside parens depends on whether the opener is followed by a newline), then that's behavior I prefer and have in my config via defadvice. ruby-mode currently picks between "deep" and "not-so-deep" indent based on whether the current opener is in `ruby-deep-indent-paren'.

In practice, with SMIE in ruby-mode enabled, I would expect

foo(
    1,
    2,
    3)

to be indented as

foo(
  1,
  2,
  3)

which doesn't happen.

b. They've had a bug about removing ruby-mode.el for months now:
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6823 Again, no movement there.

Maybe making the trunk code work in 23.4 (for example) would help
convince people to drop it from ruby-lang.  I encourage people to post
a "vote to remove as well" to this bug-tracker.

Maybe it would. I posted a "me too" there.

Me too. Hopefully someone will have a look at the issue at some point.

c. No ELPA repositories are tracking Ruby trunk anymore.  We just have
some older versions uploaded to Marmalade and Tromey's archive a while
back.

That's good.  So we should indeed upload a newer version (or better
yet, remove those out dated versions).

https://github.com/nicferrier/marmalade/issues/55

I'm not sure if I should Cc Tom Tromey, after all, his repository is supposed to be completely out of use.