Re: Emacs trunk and Gnus master are fully sync'd now

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Emacs trunk and Gnus master are fully sync'd now
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 17:44:30 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen writes:
> address@hidden (Giorgos Keramidas) writes:
>
>> The next time I start Gnus it tries to do an 'initial sync of 129
>> groups' all over again, and this delays startup time a lot.
>
> Yes, this is the bug that has made me want to not merge that bit of Ma
> Gnus into bzr Emacs.  I still have no fix for it.

I cannot reproduce this anymore in Dovecot after my change which keeps
empty 'unexist' ranges. So the question is why it still happens with
GMail.

@Giorgos: Does it only happen on startup or also sometimes when you
press 'g'?

AFAICS in `nnimap-retrieve-group-data-early', the resync should only
happen when there's either no 'active', 'unexist', or
'uidvalidity'. Perhaps the first step should be to install some verbose
messaging which says which of those triggers the resync.

-David