Re: Rename `eww' to `web'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Rename `eww' to `web'
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 20:06:02 -0400

        [ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
        [ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
        [ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.

    But all of the above imply there's a tool intervening between you and
    the URL, and you're trying to discover the tool's name (the command name
    in Emacs).

That's a very common kind of case in Emacs.

                Most users just want to enter a URL and browse it.  So my
    main suggestion is to make `C-x C-f' on a URL open a web browser like
    `eww', or call `browse-url', or do something like that.

This would be a convenient interface.  We just have to solve the
problem of ambiguity: a file name can look like a URL.  We could make
some way to indicate it is a file name -- perhaps some way to quote
the colon that would follow the URL type.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation