Re: Rename `eww' to `web'

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Rename `eww' to `web'
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 08:57:07 -0400

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 09:40:52 -0400 Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

RS> Web browsing may be important enough to justify a toolbar icon.
RS> But the command name should be natural too.  Ideally a command
RS> should have the name you would guess it has (if you didn't know).

If the goal is to improve usability, forget command names.

The user wants to open a URL.  Make a menubar entry File->Open URL.
That will take care of most new users' needs.  Maybe give it a toolbar
icon, but that's IMHO much less useful.

Then make `C-x C-f' open a web browser (through `browse-url' or
whatever) by default.  Right now there are ways to open the contents of
the URL as a file, which will be disabled by this change, but IMHO
that's the way to improve usability.

Alternatively, reserve `C-x C-u' or something like that for web browsing
specifically.  But I really think piggybacking on the familiar `C-x C-f'
sequence is the right way.

Ted