Re: Rename `eww' to `web'

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Rename `eww' to `web'
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 19:26:43 +0400

On 30.06.2013 17:40, Richard Stallman wrote:
Thanks for your contributions, but they don't entitle you to make demands
of this sort.

I do not recall making any demands. If you mean "you better" (should've been "you'd better"), see 3a here: http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/better_2.

     Would you take a name of an existing, live project for a new GNU project
     with similar functionality, even if it were a good-sounding name and it
     were convenient to do so?

The issue is about command names, so you've changed the subject.

You've got a point there, but with Emacs' lack of modularity command names usually unambiguously map to package names. Some commands in the Emacs core being the exceptions.

If we're talking about package names, then we want to avoid confusing
users.  Therefore, when we give a package the same name as some other,
we normally add "GNU" to distinguish.

For instance, I wrote a program called Emacs even though there were
other programs called "Emacs" at the time, and we made a Tar program
even though there were other programs called "tar" at the time.  To
avoid confusion, we refer to them as "GNU Emacs" and "GNU tar".

I don't know the history very well, but it seems to me that either the programs you replaced were incompatible with systems you were targeting (so you did, essentially, port them), or you didn't care about pissing their authors off, for example because the original programs were proprietary software. Or both.

Neither is likely to be the case with third-party Emacs Lisp packages.

However, the issue at hand is about command names.  We use the same
command names used by various other packages whenever that seems
convenient.  For instance, the command to run GNU Emacs is just
`emacs' and the command to run GNU tar is just `tar'.

I think this approach is based on the assumption that no user would want to have both programs installed on their system at the same time.