Re: ELPA security

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: ELPA security
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 01:15:17 +0900

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> Would it be better to follow the steps here than to have a separate
> directory?  Or maybe we should do a separate key ring AND an alternative
> directory?

I think using the separate directory only is a bit better here, because
of flexibility:

1. users could have separate preference for elpa keys, using gpg.conf or
   trustdb.gpg in the directory

2. package.el could display which keys are changed/imported in the ring,
   when the ring (on the web) is changed

It might look overkill to have a separate directory, but actually GPGME,
on which epg.el is modelled, only provides the directory option.  Also
some tools follow this way (e.g. caff in Debian signing-party package).

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno