Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 12:01:30 +0200

Hello.

28 jun 2013 kl. 11:16 skrev martin rudalics <address@hidden>:

> > Strictly speaking they are not part of the current state, but of some
> > previous state.  X does not differ between maximized, fullscreen or
> > normal windows, they are all just windows.  The window manager makes
> > that distinction, and probably holds that data, but it is private and
> > unacessable.
>
> So this means that, as stated earlier, we'd have to remember the
> pre-maximize/minimize coordinates ourselves in the frame structure and
> update them whenever we minimize/maximize a frame.

It is overkill to to that, just make the frames and maximize/fullscreen them as
they where when the desktop was saved.  It is a mistake to try to be a window
manager and force frames to exact positions.
For example, a common use case for me is to have multiple monitors at work.  I
have some Emacs frames at these monitors.  When I get home, I don't have these
monitors, just the laptop screen.  Where does my Emacs frames end up in your
scheme when I'm at home?
Offscreen at some unaccessable coordinate?  Better let the window manager deal
with this, in most cases it will make these frames visible, which is what I
want.

        Jan D.