Re: filenotify.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: filenotify.el
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 09:04:41 -0400

> However, any Lisp package could still decide to activate "the other"
> low-level file notification package if linked to Emacs.

So what?

> In this case, we must ensure that the incoming file-notify events can
> be distinguished.

Where?  In the C code or in filenotify.el?  AFAICT, at the Elisp level,
a callback is only called for a given "watcher" (which is even more
specific than a "notification library"), so I see no reason why
a callback setup with inotify-add-watch should be called by gfilenotify,
for example.

> Such an event looks like (DESCRIPTOR ACTION FILE). Different low-level
> packages must use unique DESCRIPTORs then.

Just use (inotify DESCRIPTOR ACTION FILE) instead, if that's really needed.

        Stefan