Creating (or not) the directories in --locallisppath

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Creating (or not) the directories in --locallisppath
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 04:33:17 +0200

In the thread for bug#14576 there was a brief discussion about an
issue not specific to Windows, i.e., whether directories passed to
configure --locallisppath=XXXX should be created by the Emacs build
process.

Currently they are created in the install-arch-indeep rule, which
tellingly has this comment:

## I'm not sure creating locallisppath here serves any useful purpose.
## If it has the default value, then the later write_subdir commands
## will ensure all these components exist.
## This will only do something if locallisppath has a non-standard value.
## Is it really Emacs's job to create those directories?
## Should we also be ensuring they contain subdirs.el files?
## It would be easy to do, just use write_subdir.

IMHO, Emacs should not create these dirs, as if the user needs passing
locallispath, it is likely it points outside the Emacs installation
tree and doesn't seem something Emacs should worry about (or dare to
touch). Also, it seems that it wouldn't play well with staged installs
via DESTDIR...

Comments?