Re: Inhibiting read-only

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Inhibiting read-only
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 18:30:15 +0200

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Jambunathan K <address@hidden> wrote:

> Look at the last line of the docstring.
>
> You selectively inhibit the some read only properties.

It says "if the value is a list, disregard `buffer-read-only' [...]

It is true that it will disregard a *text property* only if it is in
the list. But, AFAICS, if you have the buffer set to read-only via
`buffer-read-only' (regardless of text properties you're using to set
segments of text as read-only), setting inhibit-read-only to a list
will ignore the read-onliness of the buffer.

IOW, that would work if you have a non-read-only buffer, and some
parts of the buffer are set to read-only via text properties, and you
want to selectively ignore some or all these text properties.

I understand Lars' question as having a read-only buffer (not a
read-only text property set from (point-min) to (point-max)) and
wanting to deactivate it for some segments of the text.