Re: eww

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: eww
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 02:40:12 +0300

>> I'm interested in the possibility of replacing info with html+eww.
>
> As for this, that's not very realistic.  info has a ton of commands
> specially suited for navigating manuals, and does a really good job.
> eww is a general web browser, and trying to shoe-horn all the missing
> info functionality into it would be a mess, I think.

There are two ways to integrate eww and info:

1. eww could support browser extensions, so e.g. when it detects
a navigable manual, it could load a new extension eww-info.el
that will support next/prev/up navigation and specific commands
such as index and search, etc.

2. Info could reuse the layout engine from shr to render
its content to produce nicer output.

BTW, two additional questions: I noticed that in net/browse-url.el you added
eww between Mosaic and Mosaic CCI in `browse-url-browser-function'.
Why such a strange place?  I think eww as a native browser deserves
to be placed first in the list of supported browsers.

Also while trying to customize `browse-url-browser-function' to eww,
it fails to browse links.  Perhaps, this should be fixed by creating a new
function `browse-url-eww' similar to other `browse-url-...' functions?

Another question is that
`M-x eww RET http://duckduckgo.com/?q=my+user+agent RET'
says that the user agent of eww is just "URL/Emacs".
Any respectable browser has a longish text for the User-Agent.
So its User-Agent would be more informative with something like
"eww/5.130008 URL/1.1 Emacs/24.3.50 (gnu/linux)"...