Re: Emacs Display Recangular blocks instead of fonts

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: Emacs Display Recangular blocks instead of fonts
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 09:24:12 -0400

SJT> I don't recall exactly how modern X servers handle server-side fonts.

The majority of the current distributions default to installing the X
server with built-in support for the misc-fixed and cursor fonts and
with the font-path set to "built-ins" (to find those two).

They expect everything to use client-side fonts.

But I believe they still have the font loader for bdf and pcf files,
so it should be possible to install the bitmap font packages and add
the necessary directories to the font-path.

As one example, on debian sid,

    :; apt-cache search xfonts|grep ^xfonts

lists 77 packages, (75 font packages, plus encodings and utils).

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6