Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 18:41:27 +0300

> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 18:43:24 +0400
>
> >     It is always preferable to use --prefix to configure Emacs for
> >     some specific location of its installed tree; the default
> >     /usr/local is not suitable for Windows.
>
> What's going to happen if I disregard this recommendation? Will build
> fail?

No, I don't think the build will fail.  --prefix is only important for
"make install".

> I've taken a habit of running Emacs from the trunk\bin directory
> on Windows, I just add it to PATH. Will that stop working?

I don't know, I never tried such a strange arrangement with the Posix
build.  Why don't you simply run Emacs from src instead?  That is how
Emacs is supposed to be run uninstalled.  Otherwise, you will be
copying a lot of files for no good reason.

And anyway, how is running from trunk/bin related to --prefix?

> > After that, use "ming-get install PACKAGE" to install the following
>
> Looks like a typo: ming -> mingw

Thanks, fixed.

> >  (We recommend that you refrain from installing the MSYS Texinfo
> >  package, which is part of msys-base, because it might produce mixed
> >  EOL format when installing Info files.  Instead, install the MinGW
> >  port of Texinfo, see the ezwinports URL below.)
>
> How am I supposed to do that? MinGW-Get installer only allows me to
> check or uncheck the whole "MSYS Base" category, not the individual
> packages.

I don't know; I don't use mingw-get.  Perhaps uninstall the Texinfo
package after installing msys-base (assuming mingw-get has an
uninstall option that can uninstall a single package)?  If that
doesn't work, I suggest to ask on the mingw-users mailing list, the
developer of mingw-get is reading that.