Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 18:43:24 +0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> I'd like to encourage everyone who builds native Windows port of Emacs
> to please switch to this method; the old nt/configure.bat and
> Windows-specific makefile.w32-in files are from now on deprecated.
> Start by reading nt/INSTALL.MSYS.

Thank you for you work. A few comments on the documentation:

>     It is always preferable to use --prefix to configure Emacs for
>     some specific location of its installed tree; the default
>     /usr/local is not suitable for Windows.

What's going to happen if I disregard this recommendation? Will build
fail? I've taken a habit of running Emacs from the trunk\bin directory
on Windows, I just add it to PATH. Will that stop working?

> After that, use "ming-get install PACKAGE" to install the following

Looks like a typo: ming -> mingw

>  (We recommend that you refrain from installing the MSYS Texinfo
>  package, which is part of msys-base, because it might produce mixed
>  EOL format when installing Info files.  Instead, install the MinGW
>  port of Texinfo, see the ezwinports URL below.)

How am I supposed to do that? MinGW-Get installer only allows me to
check or uncheck the whole "MSYS Base" category, not the individual
packages.

>    https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Installer/mingw-get/
>
>  (This installer only supports packages downloaded from the MinGW
>  site; for the rest you will still need the manual method.)
>
>  After installing mingw-get, invoke it to install the packages that
>  are already selected by default on the "Select Components" screen of
>  its wizard.

The MinGW-Get installer, at least, goes straight from selecting packages
to installing them. And it's the recommended download at the page you
link to (Looking for the latest version? Download
mingw-get-inst-20120426.exe).