RE: completion.el users?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: completion.el users?
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 13:50:42 -0700

> I'm wondering what's the status of completion.el.
> It's been with us for a long time, but the last non-cosmetic patch for
> it was made in 2007, which seems surprisingly long for a 90KB file.
>
> I also have some reservations w.r.t to this file because it uses the
> "completion-" prefix which I'd rather use for the meaning of "TAB
> completion", and because it is not very namespace-clean (uses various
> prefixes plus several non-prefixed functions).
>
> IOW, I'd be happy to declare it obsolete.

The particular kind of dynamic completion it provides is not provided by
anything else, AFAIK, and that feature is useful.

I don't use it anymore, personally, but I used to use it a lot.  (There are
several useful Emacs features - calendar... - that I used to use a lot but no
longer use, for whatever reason.)

Wanting to reuse the `completion-' prefix for something else is not a very good
reason to deprecate.  And any "namespace" cleanup such as you describe is pretty
much a nice-to-have for a library that presumably is not used much.

So my vote would be to (a) to keep completion.el, (b) add a FIXME note, if you
like, with suggested namespace-related changes, and (c) use some other prefix
for the other, unrelated code.  Unless, that is, there is a replacement for
completion.el that does the same thing or more.

Just one opinion.