Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 14:27:05 +0300

> Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 12:59:57 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> Error messages like this one:
>   install-info: No such file or directory for /usr/share/info/emacs.info
>
> suggested that this command from the Makefile:
>   /bin/install-info --info-dir=c:/usr/share/info c:/usr/share/info/$elt
>
> was failing because, the shell was passing the argument
> "/usr/share/info/XXXX" to the program instead of the intended
> "c:/usr/share/info/XXXX", and "/usr/share/info/XXXX" is a different
> path which references to a non-existent file.

Ah, OK.  I guess MSYS modified your c:/usr/share/info into
/usr/share/info because your Texinfo is an MSYS package.

> I've tried to use the UNIX-like path: "make install prefix=/c/usr" and
> it solved the problem.
>
> This seems to suggest that, from the MSYS bash, it is safer to use the
> UNIX-like paths instead of the Windows native ones.

That depends, see above.  In general, MSYS is supposed to support
both styles alike; anything else is a bug in MSYS.

> There remains a minor annoyance, though: the info directory (attached
> to this mail) has some parts with DOS-type EOLs an other parts with
> UNIX-type EOLs.  Therefore, my Emacs shows some annoying "^M" chars.

Looks like the lines in info/dir which came from the original file in
the source tree (which has Unix-style EOLs) are copied verbatim, while
other lines have DOS EOLs.

Does the same happen if you invoke install-info manually?

I think the cause of this is that MSYS programs use binary I/O mode,
so they output the lines with whatever EOL format they happened to
have in their source files.

(Using the native port of makeinfo, I don't have this problem.)