Re: cl-defstruct-based package.el, now with ert tests and no external ta

From: Daniel Hackney
Subject: Re: cl-defstruct-based package.el, now with ert tests and no external tar!
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 22:52:03 -0400

I forgot to respond on-list. Here's what I said:

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'd like to move forward on this but haven't heard from you about the
> comments below.  I just now realize that I only sent it to emacs-devel,
> so maybe you just didn't see it.

Sorry, I haven't had much time to work on this recently. I'll try to
get some done now.

>>> In the end it should be a single commit to the Bazaar repo, and there's
>>> no reason to break it up for your audience here.

Agreed.

>> I've been looking at the patch, trying to understand what it does, and
>> I think I'd first really need to see a good description of what it does,
>> because obviously it doesn't just switch to using a defstruct.  It also
>> does things like renaming functions and various minor refactorings that
>> don't seem directly related (they don't necessarily seem bad either,
>> but I wasn't able to understand all of what's going on from just
>> looking at the patch).

I'll do a better job of explaining the whole patch. Should I include
that in some sort of file in the repo or just on the mailing list?
Would a detailed-ish explanation of the changes and rationale be
appropriate for the ChangeLog or NEWS files?

>> I did notice that package-desc-from-define uses ignore-errors where the
>> previous code did not.  `ignore-errors' can be handy, but it should be
>> used with restraint because it too easily hides problems.  Since the
>> previous code didn't use them, I don't see why we'd need them now.

I forget why I did this. I'll look into it now.

I also remembered that I haven't touched package-x.el. This would be
kind of important. I'll write tests for it as well.

About package-x.el, is the HTML and RSS updating functionality actually
used? Currently, the only way to access the functionality is calling
`package-maint-add-news-item' or the non-interactive
`package-upload-buffer-internal' directly. GNU ELPA clearly doesn't use
the version in package-x.el, as the HTML generated is not what
package-x produces. Can I consider it unused and delete it? If not,
I'll refactor it with the rest of the code.

--
Daniel Hackney