Re: Installing the Emacs executable

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Installing the Emacs executable
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 09:12:20 -0400

>> That's a different issue.  My question was about what "make install"
>> does with DOC, not what "make emacs" does in src.  We can install DOC
>> under the name DOC-XX.YY.ZZ without changing what happens in src and
>> in etc of the build tree.

A simpler solution is to drop the DOC-XX.YY.ZZ and only use a single
"DOC" file.  I've been doing that quite happily for years now.

> I've long wondered if it would be better to get rid of the DOC file
> altogether and keep the documentation in the executable image.

That could be an option.  There are various ways this could be done, but
I think it would only be worth it if it can simplify the code.

Given the fact that we'd most likely still need to keep most of the
current code to lazy-load docstrings/bytecode from those .elc files that
are not preloaded, I think it'll be difficult to come up with something
that simplifies the code.

        Stefan