Re: About PATH environment variable on OSX

From: Piotr Kalinowski
Subject: Re: About PATH environment variable on OSX
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 14:33:01 +0200

James Felix Black <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello --
>
> In recent versions of OS X, one can modify environment variables for the
> currently running graphical session with the launchctl (1) command:
>
>   % launchctl setenv PATH /foo/bar/baz:$PATH
>
> ... will work as expected.

I just tried it, but it did not work. I've run this command in Terminal,
and then restarted Emacs, but it still had the old value for PATH. And
it makes sense, because set of enviroment variables is given to an
application on start, and does not change later. In order for
application to pick up changes, you need to launch it again. In this
case, you'll need to follow it up with

  % killall Dock

Then the applications started will have new environment. (Although I
tested this only for applications started from dock. You could restart
Finder as well ;)

Best regards,
Piotr Kalinowski