Re: split-window as a command

From: Rand User
Subject: Re: split-window as a command
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 22:45:45 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Xue Fuqiao <address@hidden>

>>  > I have a (maybe) better version:
>>  >
>>  > This command is obsolete since 24.4; use `C-x 2' instead
>>
>>  Which command is obsolete?
>
> The command you just executed.

I think explicitly giving the name of the obsolete command

and the replacement command would be better. Something similar
to the format used by `define-obsolete-function-alias'

    `split-window' is an obsolete command (as of 24.4); use
`split-window-below' instead

or maybe

    The command `split-window' is obsolete (as of 24.4); use
`split-window-below' instead

>> Also, `C-x 2' looks more like a key sequence than a command name.
>
> Yes.  There are 2 reasons to use `C-x 2' here:

> 1. It is usually too long to display two command names in the echo area;
> (I even want to drop the " since 24.4".)

> 2. It is more convenient for users to execute the command, since they

Encountering obsolete commands should be pretty rare,

so I think a detailed message is more important than
the convenience aspect.

Perhaps something like `disable-command' could be used
instead of just a message.

--
Rand