Re: desktop.el: autosave?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: desktop.el: autosave?
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 10:05:45 +0300

> I've been happily using essentially the above code (mostly Juri's, with a
> handful of lines by me) since this thread went quiet over five years ago.

The problem is that the time interval to run auto-save-hook is
not configurable exclusively for desktop mode.  If a user wants
to auto-save the desktop less often than to auto-save files
there is no way to do this.

OTOH, I like the simplicity of the auto-saving feature in savehist
that uses just one option `savehist-autosave-interval' to configure the
interval between autosaves, or nil to disable timer-based auto-saving.

Savehist uses `run-with-timer'.  Why not to do the same in desktop mode?
What are the problems with using `run-with-timer'?