Re: Modern Conventions for Emacs Lisp files?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: Modern Conventions for Emacs Lisp files?
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 21:47:46 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> 1. File structuring with outcommented Org-mode headlines (;; * Headline)
>
> There is already a standard for that:
>
>    ;;; Headline
>    ;;;; SubHeadline
>    ;;;;; SubSubHeadline
>
> outline-minor-mode understands it.

ok, lets put it like this: I wanted to let fellow Emacs/Org-mode users
know that they can have the same thing in Org-mode style now.

And since 'outshine.el' and 'outorg.el' simply comment and uncomment
Org-mode headlines, it works in other modes too:

,--------------
| LaTeX
| % * Headline
|
| PicoLisp
| ## * Headline
|
| etc.
`--------------

The headline is calculated from the comment-syntax of the major-mode and
the Org-mode headline syntax.

>> 2. Meta information not as free text anymore but as Org-mode properties,
>> maybe like this:
>> ,---------------------------------------------------------
>> | * navi-mode.el --- major-mode for easy buffer-navigation
>> |   :PROPERTIES:
>> |   :copyright: Thorsten Jolitz
>> |   :copyright-years: 2013
>> |   :version:  0.9
>> |   :licence:  GPL 2 or later (free software)
>> |   :licence-url: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/
>> |   :part-of-emacs: no
>> |   :author: Thorsten Jolitz
>> |   :author_email: tjolitz AT gmail DOT com
>> |   :inspiration:  occur-mode org-mode
>> |   :keywords: emacs outline lisp
>> |   :END:
>> `---------------------------------------------------------
>
> There is already a non-free-text section with such meta-info,
> manipulated with lisp-mnt.el functions.  It looks like
>
>    ;; Author: Chinua Achebe <address@hidden>
>    ;; Maintainer: FSF
>    ;; Package: emacs
>
> It's not the same format, but that shouldn't be a major issue.

Ok, again I probably wanted to let fellow Emacs/Org-mode users know that
they can now quickly open their elisp comment-sections in temporary
Org-mode edit buffers (with outorg.el) and thus effortlessly use the
special Org-mode stuff like table-editing and property-drawers in their
Emacs Lisp comment headers.

--
cheers,
Thorsten