Re: cl-defstruct-based package.el, now with ert tests and no external ta

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: cl-defstruct-based package.el, now with ert tests and no external tar!
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 20:43:08 -0400

> In the end it should be a single commit to the Bazaar repo, and there's
> no reason to break it up for your audience here.

I've been looking at the patch, trying to understand what it does, and
I think I'd first really need to see a good description of what it does,
because obviously it doesn't just switch to using a defstruct.  It also
does things like renaming functions and various minor refactorings that
don't seem directly related (they don't necessarily seem bad either,
but I wasn't able to understand all of what's going on from just
looking at the patch).

I did notice that package-desc-from-define uses ignore-errors where the
previous code did not.  `ignore-errors' can be handy, but it should be
used with restraint because it too easily hides problems.  Since the
previous code didn't use them, I don't see why we'd need them now.

        Stefan