Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 05:54:35 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>     Jambunathan K <address@hidden>,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 11:31:45 +0900
>
> Germán "A. Arias" writes:
>
> If you mean that you can distribute a fork of Emacs containing that
> code without infringing either license, yes, that's true.

A distribution doesn't have to be a fork.  I can make my own tarball
of Emacs any time without forking anything.  I can at that time add to
the "official" Emacs any suitably licensed code I choose.  According
to Jambunathan, I cannot include his code in such a distribution:

> I am un-willing to allow the users of Org mode to enjoy the privileges
> of my changes within the comforts of Emacs.

So it's not GPL, it's "GPL with buts", a.k.a. non-free.

(Arguably, this is my interpretation of his intentionally vague
statement above.  But given his unwillingness to explain those
restrictions, what other device do I have but interpret that in the
most extreme sense?)