Re: Abolishing ChangeLog files

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Abolishing ChangeLog files
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 14:37:27 -0400

    Seems to me that it would be a lot more convenient if the "what" and the
    "why" of a change were in the same place.  That is where you are making
    the split, ChangeLogs for the what and commit logs for the why?

Yes.  It seems natural to me to have these separate, and also to
split up the ChangeLog files by directory.  It has two advantages:

(1) the explanation are easier to read when not cluttered by
all the details of what was changed.

(2) Each per-directory ChangeLog file is considerably shorter
than the whole collection.

(3) It is possible to fix errors in the ChangeLog files.
(Some VCS allow such changes -- RCS did.)

However, I don't insist about how Emacs does this.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation