Re: Abolishing ChangeLog files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Abolishing ChangeLog files
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 08:45:44 +0300

> Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 02:42:51 +0400
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > I wrote that program myself.  Unix 'time' cannot be ported, because it
> > uses too many Posix APIs.
>
> Since you don't seem inclined to distribute it, you won't get exact
> numbers from me.

You never asked.  I can send the source to you privately, if you
want.

> For the record:
>
> C:\Users\gutov\vc\emacs-git>git --version
> git version 1.8.0.msysgit.0

Same here:

  $ git version
  git version 1.8.0.msysgit.0

> >> Anyway, the most important speedup I expect to see is the time it takes
> >> to do "git pull" vs "bzr update". I haven't done any real testing there
> >> yet, but the latter command takes entirely too long.
> >
> > Depends on how large is your pull.  E.g., the initial "git clone" took
> > me almost 3 hours; bzr did the same in under 50 min.
>
> I mean that whenever I need to do a commit in the Emacs repository, 'bzr
> update' takes at least 30 seconds or so, even when the difference
> between the local and remote heads is a couple of commits.
>
> I don't see this kind of problem with Git, but maybe I just haven't
> tried it with a repository hosted on the same server as Bazaar one.

I did, just now:

  D:\gnu\bzr\emacs\trunk>timep bzr up
  Connected (version 2.0, client OpenSSH_5.9)
  Authentication (publickey) successful!
  Secsh channel 1 opened.
   M  nt/ChangeLog
   M  nt/config.nt
   M  src/ChangeLog
   M  src/makefile.w32-in
  All changes applied successfully.
  Updated to revision 112175 of branch bzr+ssh://address@hidden/emacs/trunk

  real    00h00m24.890s
  user    00h00m01.125s
  sys     00h00m00.203s

  $ time git pull
  remote: Counting objects: 17, done.
  Unpacking objects: 100% (10/10), done.
  From git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs
     6dd8f02..830b8b3  master     -> origin/master
     6dd8f02..830b8b3  trunk      -> origin/trunk
  Updating 6dd8f02..830b8b3
  Fast-forward
   nt/ChangeLog        | 6 ++++++
   nt/config.nt        | 4 ++--