Re: Anyone building Emacs trunk with MinGW w64 (32 bits)

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Anyone building Emacs trunk with MinGW w64 (32 bits)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:10:22 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Just for the record: this problem does not exist in the GNU/Linux build
>> procedure.  More specifically, in the Unix makefiles, "make bootstrap"
>> kind of like "make clean; make".  So presumably, by suitably changing
>> the Windows makefiles to mimick what the Unix makefiles do, we should be
>> able to get the same behavior.
>
> Can't be done without a lot of non-trivial hacking, if at all
> possible.  The Unix makefiles use Borne shell features to get this
> done, and I don't want to require Windows users to have a native
> Windows port of a Unixy shell installed (because there are no good
> ones).
>
> That said, feel free to donate patches to make this happen.
>
>> Of course, making it possible to build the Windows version via
>> ./configure would also solve it.
>
> In the works, but I could use some help.  The main problem, which I'm
> still unsure what is the best way of solving, is how to tell configure
> not to test for certain features and instead accept that the test
> should succeed (because those features are implemented in Emacs
> sources).

It seems to me that your two paragraphs contradict: on the first you say
that you don't want a Bourne shell on Windows, but in the second you say
that you are working on running the ./configure script on Windows (which
maybe does not require a Bourne shell, but some kind on Unix shell
anyway.)

What new requirements would add running ./configure on Windows, as per
your plan?

Instead on trying to force a square peg into a round hole, why not using
something native to Windows such as CMake, which adds a single, well
defined dependency to the build, and allows proper platform checks,
scriptability, etc.?

I know that this proposal was rejected twice before, but I'll bet that
making ./configure work on Windows would require less work than a
complete CMake build specification for Emacs.