EOL: unix/dos/mac

From: Per Starbäck
Subject: EOL: unix/dos/mac
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:34:04 +0100

The end-of-line indicators for coding systems are unix, dos, and mac.
I suggest they are replaced with lf, crlf, and cr.

I think the current indicators are misleading for those who don't know
about this.

Mac OS X has been preloaded on all Macs since 2002.
Mac owners who find how to click on the colon on the mode line might
think that they should
have "Mac" there. (And other users might think they are doing their
Mac user friends a favor if they
convert a text file to "Mac" before sending them a file.)

"DOS" might also lead to confusion, since Microsoft Windows isn't
really DOS (anymore).
Wouldn't users who see that think that this must be something old in
some obsolete DOS encoding?

It's not a big problem, but it will (very) slowly get bigger and
bigger with time, so that even people
who do know about this stuff can be confused.

So I think it would be best if Emacs used designations that aren't
about what systems (used to) use
the different codings, but instead just "(CR)", "(LF)", "(CRLF)".