Re: Using glib's g_file_monitor_file and g_file_monitor_directory

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Using glib's g_file_monitor_file and g_file_monitor_directory
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 12:05:33 -0400

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:54:04 +0100 Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

MA> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> I am in favor, replacing the existing inotify backend and keeping the
>> same API if possible, but there should be a way to avoid polling, even
>> disable it by default, and I hope it's asynchronous to some degree.  You
>> can imagine how slow polling a ftp connection can be...

MA> As far as I understand the API, polling is started by g_file_monitor_*
MA> only in case there is no native monitoring library, which could do the
MA> job. If you don't monitor an ftp:// mounted file, there's problem. It's up
MA> to you :-)

My point is, currently, monitoring an ftp:// mount with inotify is
harmless, right?  You won't poll and it fails instantly?

Now suddenly we may start to poll.  This is unexpected behavior and
should be off by default, to prevent unwanted network connections and
general lag in Emacs.  I think that's generally desirable.

Ted