Re: A unified project root interface

From: Jorgen Schaefer
Subject: Re: A unified project root interface
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 16:02:03 +0100

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 15:18:50 +0100
David Engster <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think we don't need another project mechanism in Emacs. EDE and
> dir-locals should be enough. What we have to do however is to develop
> at least one very basic project type in EDE which can be used similar
> to project-root.el.

Unless you create this in a way that is usable without requiring (or
understanding) EDE, I fear that it will not be used by many
other packages. And that's the issue I started this thread for.

The issue is not that we would not have a way to define a project. We
do. Dozens of them, actually. Every package has their own. It's so
trivial to do for 90% of all use cases that most packages just write
their own code.

If we do not provide a way that is simpler to use than "I'll just
quickly write my own", the original problem will not go away. No matter
how much we say "but we have a solution".

Regards,
        -- Jorgen