Re: Proposal: emacsclient --readonly

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Proposal: emacsclient --readonly
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 23:31:26 -0400

> I'd be interested in any suggestions people have on how to accomplish
> this using emacsclient currently.  In the absence of any ideas, I'd like
> to propose the folowing patch which adds a `--readonly,-r' option to
> emacsclient (and server.el) (I had originally called it --view-mode,-v but
> getopt_long_only complained that it was ambiguous if abbreviated.)

I think the way to do it is to change emacsclient.c so that any "--foo"
arg simply gets sent to server.el.  This way the addition of --readonly

support can be implemented all in server.el.  Then server.el should be
changed to provide a hook that lets user add handling for their
own --foo args so that you can even do it without changing server.el.

        Stefan